-->

Sunday 2 September 2012

The Mousetrap

Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap is now in its 60th year, and to celebrate the Queen of Crime's classic mystery has been put on tour for its Diamond Anniversary. The all-Australian production is 1 of 60 professional productions celebrating 60 years of 'whodunnit' worldwide. This production also marks the first time ever that The Mousetrap has toured Australia.

So, pretty awesome stuff. A must-see for not just any Christie fan, but theatre lovers everywhere. And today my husband and I were fortunate enough to see The Mousetrap at The Comedy Theatre in Melbourne.

And as it happens, I'm extra fortunate: I also went to see the show last year in London while on Student Exchange. Both shows were amazing, and very different in lots of little ways. I feel so privileged to have seen the play both at its home in St Martin's Theatre (where it plays every day of the year) and at my home in Melbourne for its 60th year.

I only had my rather busted up mobile phone with me, but I managed to take a few pictures to remember the day:



 A very blurry set. 
Don't worry, I wasn't snapping away during the production - this was taken during intermission :)

The Mousetrap is a classic 'whodunnit' that will have you suspecting everyone - but watch out for those red herrings! It's funny, oh-so-very-English, and just a little bit silly. And it's the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

But the best bit for me is the ending. Not the revelation of the murderer; but after the show has ended and the actors have taken their bows, and the character of the detective informs you, the audience, that you are now partners in crime, and asks you so very nicely to keep the secret of The Mousetrap locked safe in your hearts.

And the funny thing is - I will :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...