-->

Thursday 7 June 2012

R.I.P Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury, one of my favourite authors, died on Tuesday at the age of 91.

I was first introduced to Ray Bradbury in high school, when we read two of his short stories in English class, 'The Pedestrian' and 'There Will Come Soft Rains.' I was instantly hooked. His disturbing but eerily accurate visions of the future; of human kind's dependency and addiction to technology; and his belief in a force stronger than metal and machines that will ultimately rise again from the ashes of a fallen man-made society... His words were just so beautiful, so sad and so perfect. I have read many short stories in my life, but Ray Bradbury's are among the few that have remained vivid in my memory.

Much later I was introduced to Ray's children's novel, Dandelion Wine. Long afternoons of childhood innocence, imagination, and rites of passage in a time romanticised by modern society, Dandelion Wine was one of those books I couldn't put down, and cemented Ray Bradbury as one of the greatest and most influential writers of my life.

Thank you Ray for introducing me to your world, for making me think, laugh, cry and marvel at the impact of humanity and beauty and power of nature.

As a sort-of tribute, I've created a colouring page of Dandelion Wine to add to my collection:

Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine.

So here's to Ray Bradbury, a man whose work inspired generations of writers, dreamers - and of course, geeks. You will always be remembered x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...